Monday, December 7, 2009

Getting the Christmas Spirit


This year we are really trying to focus on the true meaning of Christmas. Not that we haven't tried it before, but we are doing it a little different this year. I got the idea from my sister-in-law who did it last year. It comes from the book, The Last Straw. Go get it if you can! It is fabulous!

So, we start with the empty manger and explain to the kids that we need to fill it up with straw so on Christmas baby Jesus can have a nice soft bed to lay in. The only way to put straw in the manger is to do an act service for someone else in the family or at school etc. So once a service has been done, they can come get a piece of straw and put it in the manger. The goal obviously is to have all the straw in the manger by Christmas Eve. Then we will put baby Jesus in it and talk about how we filled it with acts of service and that is just the gift Jesus would want us to do not only now, in December, but all year long.

They seem to be catching on, I have to remind them about it from time to time. I would like them to think about it on their own, but I think Isabel is the only one who might do it. Zaquel might surprise me though...you never know! I am sure they will remember this each year and get better at it as the years pass. But, for now, all is well!

1 comment: