Tuesday, June 28, 2011

School Days



Here they are on the first day of school!
What? School has only been out what 27 days? Yes, I am behind!

Isabel had an amazing year! She did so well academically! I am so proud of her! She made all her goals and doubled her reading goal! Way to go Isabel! She works hard and loves learning and I am soooooo happy about that!

Early on this year, she was having some identity issues. I spoke with, the one and only, Ms. Gelwix, and told her about these issues. Ms. Gelwix was completely amazing (and I do not use this term lightly)with Isabel and teaching her how important she is and how her culture is important to her and she should "embrace" her culture and identity especially, growing back her curls...She would always tell Isabel how special and lucky she was and beautiful and smart and everything in between, all the time.
She also incorporated so much African American culture (and other cultures, she was not one sided by any means :)) into her classroom and assignments. I told you, AMAZING! I know she did it anyway, but she made sure to do it longer or more often for Isabel's sake (at least I think so). It made a HUGE difference! I mean, I had been telling her all those things for years! However, I am the mom and you know how they are about the "mom", "You have to say that, your my mom!" It always means more coming from an outsider. So here's to you Ms. Gelwix! We think you are truly unique and the best Third Grade Teacher in the world!!! Kudos for helping my girl "love and embrace" who she is!


Ms. Gelwix loves art, so Isabel did a portrait of her for Christmas! I think it turned out remarkable well! She loved it!

Here they are on the last day of school! What a fabulous year!

No comments:

Post a Comment